Recently I've seen a lot of Facebook posts about new year's resolutions.
Instead of being one of those people that forgets all about their new year's resolution by the end of January, I'd like you to create real change in your life others only hope about.
So if you're thinking about a new year's resolution, here are 3 things you must know...
1. WHY do people set new year's resolutions?
It starts with an external force... the start of a new year. The other example of a big external force is your birthday.
This causes you to reflect on your life... what changes did you hope to make in your life last year? Did you succeed?
Then you feel an emotion... like the pleasure of "I want to achieve EVEN more this year" or the pain of "enough's enough, this year I'm doing it for sure".
The emotion turns into a decision... to set a new year's resolution.
2. WHAT is a new year's resolution?
It's a decision to change something in your life this year...
Fuelled by the emotion of a new year passing...
Followed by setting a goal.
Having an external motivation (like a new year) instead of internal motivation (like having a clear purpose or aligning your goals to your values) isn't such a bad thing. If the external motivation of a new year passing already exists, it's smart to harness it's energy. So setting a resolution is definitely worthwhile.
So what's the ONE thing you want to change in your life in 2017? Imagine it now because it will help to make the most out of the next question. Is it a change in your health, career, relationships or maybe finances?
3. HOW do you ensure New Year's Resolutions stick?
This is similar to the question "how do you ensure that a change in your life sticks". 3 things must be present to change for good:
- Intensity - The more emotions you feel, the more change will last because it sends a message to the brain that this is *important*. That's why people are more likely to change after something very good or very bad happens.
- Accountability - People are designed to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. This can often mean we take the path of least resistance. So the more accountability you have, the better. This includes holding yourself accountable or having other people hold you accountable.
- Layering - Change is rarely a one time event. You don't build wealth by saving one pay check. You don't become overweight by eating pizza one time. The more you can continue *layering in the learnings*, the more you will succeed.
What's the easiest way to put all this into action?
That's the same question I've been asking myself the last 10 years.
Even in today's digital age, I believe the easiest way for you to create changes that stick would be at a LIVE event. That's why over the last 4 years, we've been running our flagship live event called "The Turning Point Intensive".
The good news is the 3 things we just discussed have already been *built into* the event in huge amounts:
- Intensity of emotion... and I'm not talking about hype and ra-ra, but the emotion that comes from being around other like-minded people and experiencing an engaging presentation.
- Accountability is a massive one here. When was the last time you invested 2 straight days in your own personal growth and development by yourself? It's less confusing (and a lot more fun) progressing with others.
- Layering occurs because we build on what you already know both during and after the event.
We will also beef up your *internal motivation* at the event by getting clarity on your purpose, aligning your values and setting goals properly.
Turning Point Intensive
We also *remove any resistance* to achieving to your goals which we haven't even begun to talk about yet! This includes procrastination, limiting beliefs and emotional blockages.... And so much more.
We only run it once a year in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.
If you make the decision now to reserve a place, we can sort out everything else at the weekend... and you will definitely get intensity, accountability and layering at the event.
You can learn more or reserve a complimentary seat by clicking this link.
Whether you do it on your own or at the event, I hope your new year resolution lasts and brings you more happiness, progress and fulfilment in your life.